SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coast Guard Registration Change w/new owner
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 05-11-2010
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,452
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 11

That's exactly how I did it. I purchased the vessel in maryland, registered it in NJ, then began the change of documentation process with the CG.

I will try to pull out that paperwork and let you know what forms I used. It cost me $ 84 dollars as I recall.

I did have to contact the former owner and have his bank send me a notarized letter stating that his lien had been satisfied. His bank sent it in a day! There were specific guidelines from the GC on what information was required for that. USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Forms Page

You need the tonnage form:
USCG Marine Safety Center (MSC)

you need form 1258 application for exchange

You need form 1340 Bill of sale...

You need to fill out their credit card form...if you are paying by cc.

I think this covers the major forms....they will contact you if they require any more information. I found them to be very helpful.

I've done this twice now. but the last time was 5 years ago....

Price is the same..!

Hope this helps....if I missed anything, someone will fill in the blanks.
tempest is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome