SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 24 First Impressions
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
Cal 24 First Impressions

Just bought a Cal 24. I haven't sailed her yet or even gotten her in the water. I'll post more after I get her out.

Overall, I love this boat so far. I think she's got pretty lines all around but I am especially in love with the rudder. Might sound silly but I moved up from a trailer sailor, with the rudder hanging off the transom, so maybe it is just new boat giddiness. Almost lost the last one one day out on Lake Erie when she jumped outta the gudgeons because I hadn't used a cotter pin that day. A quick grip on the tiller saved it from a quick trip to the bottom. Still, the Cal 24 rudder just looks cool and the tiller post is nicely located in the cockpit.

Down below, the cabin is nicely done, with plenty of storage. I really like the removable cooler/bottom step thing. It's an actual Igloo cooler with a teak board mounted on top. Sets in a cut out space to be the bottom step when going below. Easy to remove and fill. Igloo brand says it really works and you could replace it easily, though I don't know if the footprint size may have changed. Wouldn't be difficult to create a new custom cutout, if you wanted to replace the cooler. Head room is the one disappointment. I haven't measured it but it's only about 5 feet, maybe a little less. I'm only 5'6" and I have to crouch a bit while walking through. Standing in the companionway, my head sticks out and nothing else.

That's all I have for now. Will be back when I have more.

Last edited by Hawkwind; 04-25-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook