SailNet Community - View Single Post - is there a website that estimates trip durations?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I'm mostly interested in the "dreaming" kind of planning. Just figuring out if it's even remotely possible for me to get somewhere in a reasonable period of time. I realize most people enjoy sailing for the act of sailing (and so do I; that is the primary reason I am getting a boat), but I do still want to take it places, not just sail around in a circle all day and go home. I like several of the options you guys have given me so far. I'll have to see about installing Google Earth on my computer... I run Linux, and last I checked (over a year ago), they didn't have a Linux version, but maybe they do now.

As for the trip home if I bought that boat I mentioned, I hadn't give it a whole lot of thought as I was looking for a tool to assist me. Initially I didn't think it was possible to get to the ocean from there, but my broker suggested I could go down the Hudson, out NYC and up the coast to Boston. Looking at the maps, I don't see a navigable connection between Lake Champlain and the Hudson, so I'm not sure what he was talking about... the St Lawrence might be the only option.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook