SailNet Community - View Single Post - OUtboard sizing question
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
I had a 9.9 two stroke on my Oday 23 before I repowered, and it was a bit of overkill. It should be fine on a 25. But if you buy a new outboard, it's going to be a four stroke; they just don't make two stroke outboards that small anymore. Here's the deal: a four stroke generates more torque than a two stroke, so you can usually get away with a smaller (lower hp) engine. The flip side of that is that the mounting bracket on your Oday 25 is probably not rated to handle a four stroke. Is this a big deal? Its been endlessly debated here and elsewhere. I don't know, but I wouldn't chance it. It's not just the weight of the engine that is at issue, but the extra torque generated by the four stroke engine that could put the mount (and your transom and engine) at risk. I just don't know enough about engineering to say if an 80 lb four stroke on a bracket that can handle a 110 lb two stroke is ok. One thing I can say for sure: get the longest shaft model you can find. The "standard" length of a long shaft is 20", but some manufacturers offer a 25". Go for it. It's way worth whatever it costs. My long shaft model (20") pops out of the water in even a modest chop.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook