SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kent Narrows - Local Knowledge Needed
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I will echo all especially the Chefs suggestion. We transit the narrows frequently on the way to St Micheals. The advice on the north entrance from the Chester River is good. Very small channnel, but once inside I you see good water. I always turn and face the current if is behind me and hold my place in line by throttling the RPMs to match. May be very crowded with "gold chainers" memorial day weekend.

Last time there we lined up right in front of the bridge as we were first there with a 10 minute wait. Current was behind us (averages 2.5 knots) so we turned and faced it and held in place waiting for the bridge tender to open.
Big 45 and 50 fott power boaters came in behind (front) of me and started blowing their . .horns at me telling me I was facing the wrong way and blocking their way Screaming in fact. They revved their engines an made many handgestures. When the bridge opened they tried to "rush me" but had to wait behind me as I passed through going south...6 knot speed limit for almost 1 mile, so they kept running up to me and backing off. Finally it widened and they roared by us "waking" us. Marine Police saw them do it and pulled them over. Rememeber those with the current get preference..usually.

I would head around Bloody Point and enjoy a sail from Annapolis there. It has to be no further where you are going and less troublesome.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook