SailNet Community - View Single Post - Privileged on Starboard, when do you tack away?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The sounds signals are for any vessel.

I agree that 5 shorts rather than one long (which in Canadian rules is also used by vessels leaving a dock) is a more appropriate signal.

You can also alter your speed by easing sails or luffing up. Heaving-to will stop you. These all depend on the situation.
jack,

I know you have this stuff down real well, but I think this advice needs to be very specific as the rules vary by circumstances, I think we are both correct:
1. the crossing sounds used by the OP are not appropriate due to a power-driven limiitations as follows:

" RULE 34 Maneuvering and Warning Signals
(a) When vessels are in sight of one another, a power-driven vessel underway... "

2. the warning signals that you suggest are appropriate for a sailboat, as indicated by the lack of the power-driven reference in:

"(d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle..."

3. FWIW in passing situations, the International Rule for sound signals is for all:
"
(c) When in sight of one another in a narrow channel or fairway:
(i) a vessel intending to overtake another shall..."

whereas the US Inland version is for power diven only:
"
(c) When in sight of one another:
(i) a power-driven vessel intending to overtake another power-driven vessel ..."