SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engineless?
Thread: Engineless?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed031 View Post
Hi, I have a (new to me) Columbia 31 with a Atomic 4 that is not running at the moment. I am new to sailing and want to get some time under sail, practice and learn the boat. What difficulties would I have taking her out with auxiliary power? or should I just wait until I get the motor up and running?

Thanks

Ed
Maybe an 80lb thrust minn kota electric would be something you can consider for a temp solution until you get your main motor running. Not sure if it will move a 31ft, what is the displacment on the vessel? Your boat maybe too big and heavy for this option. I was using a 50lb on a Cal25 and it got me out the docks, in the lake and back. At the time that was the only motor I had on that boat. I kind of wish I would have kept my 50lb just to keep on my new boat in case I ever had engine troubles I can still dock without having to get a tow. An electric with a fully charged battery is extremely reliable I can say that much. As long as my battery had juice, I can be sure I will get docked without worries. Well, just an idea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook