SailNet Community - View Single Post - House or Boat?
Thread: House or Boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Live on the boat

Do you love sailing ? Go find out if you love living aboard. I finally got to try it out for 8 months and that's it for me, won't go back to being a dirt dweller
So I say, Go for living on the boat. Get a good slip in the best marina you can afford ~ not too far from the showers and bathrooms, well maintained and CLEAN. Laundry on premises or close by. Hang around and talk to folks at the marina ~ see how you'll like them as neighbors. Visit the marina at different times of the day and night.
Have storage as close as possible to the marina.. ideally at the marina. When it's too cold, or too hot, or too close for 2, rent a room at a nice hotel for a treat.
I raised kids so the house seemed necessary. But in hindsight, it was because the hubby wanted a house.
After buying and selling homes (7). I believe as an investment, buying a home today, whether you stay in it forever or sell, it's a collossal myth, that it's a good investment. And to buy and act as landlord, it's a tremendous pain.
Now to buy a home because you want to do with it what you will is another story. But when folks calculate the profit of selling a home, they never count
all the costs, they forget the carrying costs, the interest costs of mortgage.. etc. etc. etc..... (If you do get a mortgage, make 13 payments a year, instead of 12 ~ you'll save a lot of money and be done with being partners with the bank many years sooner. But owning a home is tough these days, with property taxes escalating more and more.)
Be responsible to yourself ~ feed your heart and what you love and resist the traditional path. Just give it a shot. You can always change your mind.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook