SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jessica Watson
Thread: Jessica Watson
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The entire shite storm that has erupted around JW and the record thing really gets my goat. Scott (StillRaining) emailed me about and this is how I replied (extract)...

"The controversy over the record which has been portrayed by some as SailWorld being mean spirited could have been easily avoided had her PR wallah not been an utter sleazebag and her tacticians morons. Ignoring whether the record exists officially or not, they simply failed to read the rules or chose to ignore them. Then, they tried to shift the blame onto a journalist who had pointed their mistake out to them off the record and early enough, for them to have corrected it. A simple case of lets shoot the messenger. The fact that her PR people had also blatantly stolen the logo of the Pink Lady Apple Corporation does suggest they have the moral integrity of a band of stoats."

The SailWorld Journo has been in my opinion unjustly accused of being somehow jealous or envious of JW's achievements yet in every way she is factually correct and the JW team were told well in advance that the course JW was sailing did not cover the requirements for an around the world record.

Now personally I could not give a flying fluck whether she has set any records or not. She did circumnavigate and she did it in fine style. Sure as hell I wish I had the cojones to have done it at her age or indeed to do it now. A splendid achievement no doubt at all but crucifying the journo for simply telling the truth and correcting an error is something I do not understand or accept.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook