SailNet Community - View Single Post - The legacy of Philip Rhodes
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerjm View Post
When I was a young 20 years old, I worked the summer in the Phil Rhodes office as a yacht designer. I was a Westlawn graduate and also an engineer.

Phil was a superb gentleman and a great human to work with. I could feel his vibes or karma -- he was a legend of the old school!

He had the eye for the curves of a boat - beautiful balance.

My greatest thrill was to actually be able to pull out the original vellum and mylar drawings of the great masterpieces, 12 meter Weatherly, Carina, Hother, Reliant and others. I was at the hall of fame of yacht designs as a working yacht designer -- Wow - I almost knelt at the design board every morning when I came into the Lexington Ave. office in NYC.

IT WAS THE GREATEST JOB IN MY LIFE and I was getting paid $80/week. LOVED IT!

I left the summer and went back to school in California to finish my engineering - then onto a aerospace career on the space program.

3 years later, I bought and restored a Rhodes Meridian which I sailed down the entire east coast of the United States.

Whenever I pulled into a harbor or marina --- eyes were drawn to the boat.

Phil drew some beautiful boats! HE WAS A MASTER AT HIS CRAFT!
Skipper John, do you happen to be familiar with how the Rhodes Continental 22 came about? I ask, because it was my first boat and when I later became familiar with Phil's other designs, I had trouble believing he actually designed the Rhodes Continental 22. It was not at all like his other designs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook