SailNet Community - View Single Post - Passport vs Passport Card???
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I made a call about wording on the web site and I was told rather bluntly that you had to show the Passport Card to leave the USA.... Meaning you had to use the card in order to leave the country
Freesail99 -
I have no doubt someone told you that, the only problem is that most civil servants are not used to the concept of travel by private yacht. This whole Passport Card bit was started by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). In researching this I can find nothing written down referring to using the PassCard to depart the USA by private yacht. Historically the US has not required private yachts leaving the US to do anything (when owned and crewed by US citizens), and I cannot find where that has changed. WHTI's main purpose is to address security as regards people arriving in the USA,not departing.
As best I can determine the Passport Card can be used instead of a Passport for any situation involving a private yacht in which a Passport would be required in the USA, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean nations, including the Bahamas (which technically are not in the Caribbean).

Last edited by FSMike; 05-19-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook