SailNet Community - View Single Post - Savannah, Ga to Wilmington, NC
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010

graypenguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLombardi View Post
What's wrong with the sails? Why not sail up on the outside and motor if no wind? It's an easy trip with experienced crew.

Tony
As far as the sails go, I don't trust them for ocean use yet. From what I can tell the main has UV damage and is most likely as old as the boat. I have to spend $ on safety items, new engine hoses, new hose clamps throughout the entire boat, electronics, and dock fees right now. So, a new main sail is not doable for a couple months. I do plan to take the sail to a sail-maker to get a professional opinion on the condition of the sail and if it can be and is worth repairing it I might have it available to use before I head out.

I do want to get her to NC asap though to save on driving from Charlotte to Savannah, and I have family in Wilmington to help me out.

Also the cost of "hiring" an "Experienced Crew" to hit open water is a bit more then I can spend at the moment.

This is all in the planing stages at the moment and I was just checking to see if anyone here would be willing to tag along for the day between stops and share any knowledge of sailing and tricky spots along the way.

Or, if anyone could suggest good places to stop along the way that I could meet some of the SailNet community in the area and give tips for the next leg of my trip, that would be great too!

Last edited by graypenguin; 05-19-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook