SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 23ft venture MacGregor
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
MacGregor = Hobby Starter kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoceanlife View Post
So just to be clear the most of you feel the MacGregor is a bottom of the line, poorly made/rigged boat? Is it like the ford of boats (though I know this has changed a bit over the years)?
OK, lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
In the 23'-27' range most of the sailboats are fairly similar in construction and rigging (with a few exceptions of course), they are basically entry level pocket cruisers, and are built to be affordable to the first time buyer. MacGregor just happens to have cornered the market in this niche, so there is no shortage of them. If you check the factory site you will see they are contructed cookie cutter production line style. This cuts back on manufacturing costs and makes the boat affordable. They are not intended for heavy bluewater use but rather inland lake or protected coastal waters. The light construction and cookie cutter fabrication earns them a bad rep but never the less they are popular and get folks out there on the water for their first time.
I bought a 2003 26M MacGregor brand spanking new in 2003 but I have had to spend almost the boats original value to finish building my hobby starter kit boat and add all the extra finishing touches, like electronics and extra rigging and sails and everything else you can think of. Still the boat gets me all over the Puget Sound, San Juans & Gulf Islands and the Georgia Strait, so it is sturdy enough for my venue. It may not be blue water but the Georgia Strait can get pretty snotty & ugly when Mother Nature throws a tantrum. MacGregors are what they are but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are bottom of the barrel because they sell every boat that is manufactured and they build two or more per day, people are buying them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook