SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Do I really need to pull the mast out?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  SVCarolena 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing the standing rigging on my 1992 Lidgard 29. The current rigging is about 10 years old. I had one rigger look at it, and he suggested that to do the job right, I need to have the entire mast pulled out and transported to his shop. He could look at it better there. Is this really overkill? Isn't it enough just to inspect it in the boat. Can't I just jack the mast up a little to see how it is sitting on the step and how it looks around the cabin top?

#2 ·
this could go both ways

in his shop if something comes up like a bad sheave or a bad anchor point for a shroud it would be cheaper to fix than if it was on the boat. also he may charge less per hour as he is not up in the air doing work on it, also some things can be done faster on the ground.

now the bad side somethings can be done faster on the ground but the price may not change, ie he makes more per hour. also is he local or is he going to charge and arm and a leg to transport the mast? the boat is not that old depending on how its been used it may not need a full work over. or the boat could be very used ( charter ) and it could use to be pulled.

what is his quote to do it off the boat vrs on the boat? and did you get a second quote from any one else.

this is a decision you need to make based on what you think as you know the boat better than we do. if the boat has seen light use i fresh water is a lot different than heavy use in the bahamas.

also get someone else to look at it

#5 ·
If it needs replacing, which would be doubtful after 10 years of light use, the easiest and most affordable way is to order the wire with swages at the top and a bit longer than necessary. Use mechanical fittings (Sta-Lok, Hayn or other) at the bottom and replace each yourself one at a time. The cost for the lot should be less than $800 to $1000. It is not a hard job.

#6 ·
I don't know the Lidgard 29 at all...but it sounds like it first had rigging replaced at only 8 years old. Is it a racing boat, and thus with higher stresses on the rigging? Or mainly recreational, weekend use? Makes a difference.

I think this rigger is just trying to drum up his own business. Once the mast is at his shop, he can come up with all sorts of: "Well, since the mast is already here, we might as welldo this...or do that"...and before you know it, we're talking big money, when all it maybe needed was inspection and a couple new tangs, maybe.

If he doesn't feel comfortable with an onboard rigging, "up the mast" inspection, then what's he a rigger for, and perhaps you might want to get a different rigger. Or as someone suggested, study some rigging books and do your own work...it's not really all that hard if you study.

#7 ·
If the boats on the hard, I understand his thought process. If you want to go to the top of the mast and make the measurements, and "do all the leg work" you could save alot of money over having the rigger do it, IF it's in the water.
Be careful going up the mast and use safety precautions, and have spotters.
Above all be safe, and figure that facet into his estimate, as he is not going to put his life on the line for you, and you should not put yourself at risk, if you are unsure about any of this. Above all else, be safe !

P.S. Most riggers I know work out of a facility that has a lift and working area for boats so transporting the mast any further then necessary is lost on me.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah

#9 ·
With a 29 you should be able to go aloft, or careen the boat, or pull alongside something so you can eyeball the masthead without pulling the mast. You can inspect the shrouds with an eyeball, some binocs, and a rag. Wrap the rag around each shroud, use an uphaul+downhaul to haul it up and down. If there are no meathooks, no catches, it is probably pefectly good. One meathook is enough to condemn the wire though.

Same thing for wear aloft at the spreaders and other points--you should be able to get a close enough look without pulling the stick, unless there's been something extreme to concern you. 20 years, sure, replace away. But at ten with moderate use? Nah. Find a rigger who doesn't drive a fancy car or serve caviar to the customers.

#10 ·
You could pull the mast, (~$175 for the crane in my neck of the woods, I think), take your old rigging in to the swager and have new rigging swaged, (~$800-900 for my 27 footer), and replace it yourself. So much easier to do with the mast down, get a good personal look at your boat's rigging/condition, learn lots.

Then use the posts here to step and tune the mast-lots of helpful info here.

#11 ·
I would suggest that get at least one other opinion.
You didn't mention where your boat is, but I agree that most rigs don't need to be replaced after only 10 years.
It is often easier and faster to do a re-rig if you pull the stick. If there are other issues that need to be addressed it may make sense. If you are just replacing the standing rigging and the boat is in the water, it seems like overkill to me.
It would take two men about an hour to measure all the shrouds and stays with the mast up. Then he could fabricate everything in his shop and everything could be installed in about three hours.
You might want to ask the guy to elaborate a little more on why he feels the mast needs to come out.

#12 ·
Thanks for all of your responses! The rigger hasn't sent me his quote yet. I'll post it when I get it. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to do it myself. The boat is a racer/cruiser being used out of Honolulu. The boat hasn't been punished and most of the use has been weekend cruising. The point about the rig only being 10 years old is interesting to me. I'm beginning to think that the whole project can be put off for a while. The rigger found no signs of unusual wear or problems.

#14 ·
The rigger found no signs of unusual wear or problems.
I think you just provided your own answer - if the rigging is fine then why replace it? Given its age, I would suggest regular inspections going forward (this is something you can easily do yourself), but I wouldn't replace if there isn't any specific reason for doing so (i.e., some of the parts are starting to show signs of wear or you are setting out for a long offshore trip).

#13 ·
The reason why the rigging was replaced after 8 years (the first time) was because the boat was shipped (not on her bottom) from N.Z. to Hawaii. The rig was replaced when the boat was reassembled in Hawaii.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.