SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 30 Wanderer vs Tartan 3000
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I am kind of partial to the older, cheaper boats if they have been treated fairly well so I might opt for the Pearson 30 (how old?).
This is coming from an owner of a Tartan 27' from 1967 who has raced against a newer P30 that has always done well. The P30 may be a better sailor, I don't know as I've sailed on neither. You should try to sail each of them before buying either, ideally, to see if you like the way they handle.
Alternatively, a newer boat should mean a shorter list of items needing fixing or updating and should cost more initially but with a shorter list of 'must fix' items attached.
The best advice I can offer is to get out on a test sail on each of these type of boats and you will figure out which one you prefer. Both Pearson and Tartan had some pretty good years of making some well found boats.
Personally, in the Tartan line I like the T27 (as I own one), 34, 37 older models with the classic lines and (too much) wood on the outside.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook