SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island Trip
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010
C27 LI

mlong9876 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys

Thanks Nick and Brad. Iím still not sure where Iíll actually wind up staying but this is very helpful information. I definitely want to break the trip up into 2 or 3 days to get there.

The first and last long trip I took in this boat was last October from Patchogue (where I bought it) to Sea Cliff. I lost the engine within the first three hours and ran aground three times (two were caused by me and one while Sea Tow was 'assisting' us.) We told the Sea Tow captain that we were following the charts and his response was, "yeah, you can't really go by the charts in here".

We got up the following morning and made our way out. This time we stayed within the channels and didn't really look at the charts. It was Sunday morning so everyone and their brother were fishing in the bay. We tacked back and forth, within the fishing boats until we eventually made it through the breakwater.

Out in the ocean, the wind was on our bow the whole time which resulted in a seemingly never-ending series of tacks. We sailed straight through and made our way under the Verrazano at around 2:00 and eventually to Ellis Island where the wind just seemed to die. It was around 4:00AM and it was time to make the trek up Hell Gate, but we had no reliable engine, no wind and the furler just seemed to fall apart. My friend said that he had to get off in the city because had to shoot a commercial that morning and couldn't miss it. The only thing I could think to do was to call Sea Tow.

To make a long story (which has nothing to do with Block Island) just a little longer, Sea Tow towed us all the way back to Sea Cliff. My friend made his appointment and I went to sleep thinking that I had just purchased a clunker for which I would have the pleasure of paying winter storage. It turned out that both problems were relatively minor and easily fixed.

The point of all that, I think, was to say that I would definitely prefer breaking up the trip rather than sailing straight throughÖand of course, that I love Sea Tow.
Brad and Nick, I will definitely stay in touch and I hope that we cross paths out there. I keep my boat (Catalina 27 ĒGracie DayĒ) at Tappen Marina in Sea Cliff and am on the water as often as possible. This year Iím making a real effort to spend as much time out there as I can. I left the boat in wet storage this winter so Iíve been able to get out over 20 times this season already.

Iíll keep you all updated on the decisions of when and where and am always open to more suggestions.

Thanks again,

Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook