SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anybody elsed have trouble with Bristol Finish?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Anybody elsed have trouble with Bristol Finish?

For how expensive Bristol Finish is compared to an outstanding varnish like Epiphanes, I was expecting stellar results after spending the bucks and applying Bristol Finish to ALL my teak and mahogany work.

The company documentation lends one to believe that it should last at least 2-3 years if in a temperate non-tropical environment.

The Bristol I put on (8 coats) my toe-rails, dorade-boxes, grab-rails started degrading on horizontal surfaces in less than a year...first getting small white blemishes, and then these blemishes got progressively larger as the original blemishes opened up further to the elements. And I am not talking just a few places, but ALL horizontal surfaces. And I followed every instruction during application.

For 2 months, the Bristol did indeed look fantastic, and I was very proud of myself andf thought that was a $450 (supplies alone) well-spent, as I was anticipating at least 3 years without varnishing.

For the last year, it is not only the horizontals that are degrading, but the vertical surfaces as well. In fact, ALL the surfaces are beginning to look like a case of mange.

The only place where the Bristol continues to hold up as advertised is on my main hatch and hatch boards. The hatch DOES continue to look beautiful. HOWEVER, this area is mostly covered by my dodger!!

All the areas exposed to sun and weather have Bristol that is quickly failing, far sooner than advertised.

Bristol Finish is a two-part epoxy and thus VERY hard to remove. Right now, I am just letting as much degraded away as possible, and will start removing physical this autum and go back to Epiphanes.

The 2 weeks during which I applied the finish was dry, low humidity with temps in the 70s - low 80's, and often cloudy, I used awnings when applying to alleviate boiling and ensuing bubbles.

Has anybody else had this problem with Bristol Finish? I am totally unimpressed with it so far. If it doesn't take the weather, why put it on a boat...and if you need to re-apply it every 6 months everywhere, why does the stuff cost over a hundred dollar a quart???

For now, I am just letting the sun take it off...and it seems to be doing a good job of just that right now!!

Here is a pic....and not even one of the worst section, just an average section. Like I said, it started degrading and peeling within the first year.

[IMG][/IMG]