SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Prop & Shaft - install prop questions
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
New Prop & Shaft - install prop questions

Hey everyone,

I just got a new Campbell Sailor prop and a new stainless shaft. Not sure I installed it correctly (or I'm being too fussy).

Here's what I did:
  1. Key looks good with rounded edges, slides easy in both shaft and prop.
  2. Prop fits well on taper, no rocking.
  3. Slide prop on shaft w/o key and mark shaft with a sharpie at highest point
  4. Remove prop, put key on shaft, slide prop on..couple of mm away from my line
  5. File top of key a little..try again..still a couple mm away from my line
  6. Repeat filing key and testing a few times..still can't reach the line..and now if I shine a light I can see a gap between key and prop keyway.

I can't understand what's holding the prop from sliding back to the line? Should I remove some width in the key? Key slides well in both keyways.

Now that I've got some space between the key and the top/bottom of the keyways, should I get a new key and start over?

If I give the nut a turn with a wrench I can hit my line, but not without the wrench.

Am I over-thinking this?

And, I can't find any info on the proper torque for the prop nut. I've seen everything from 10 to 100 foot pounds.

-PK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook