SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anybody elsed have trouble with Bristol Finish?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Yeah...my cockpit sole teak grids I keep 'au natural'...same with my lazarette hatches, and the little bit of teak decking on the fantail. All that's been natural for 5 years now...and holding up well.

I DO notice that the teak DOES eventually dry out and get brittle, though....as I've just had my first broken part of my cockpit sole teak grid (although was from a hard impact of a 27 series battery against the sole); and the week before I suffered from a cracked teak lazarette hatch (which I just finished stabilizing with an aluminum carpenter square cut to size and screwed onto the underside as re-inforcement, strangely enough....seems stronger than it was originally now. I did the same on my portside teak lazarette lid 3 years ago, and I walk on it all the time!...aluminum carpenter squares come in really handy for that kind of stuff!!!...plus if I want to measure a fish...i just open my hatch lid and set the fish up to the square... )

So it seems five years might be the limit for untreated sun-bleached teak. Anybody else? Previous to that these were either varnished or Cetol-ed.

I've always been afraid of using teak oil, as I've heard certain mildew love the teak oil...don't know if that's a misnomer or not. If not, I'm going to feed the sunbleached cockpit teak some teak oil.

Ughmo2000: WOW, you're very lucky!!! Did you apply the Bristol inside a boat shed, by any chance? I think THAT might make a difference. sure wish I had done mine in a boat shed. If I do anything like that again, I'll haul out and make my own boat shed using pvc pipe as hoops and the biggest tarp I can find. I did that once when I was re-doing all my deck core....the hoop "shed" lasted 3 months without mishap! Pounded larger diameter pipe into ground to act as anchor sleeves for the hoops. I think the whole "shed" cost less than $100 in tarp, rope and pvc pipe. Need a long perpendicular pipe lashed as a beam. Worked great!!

Genieskip: Varnish on the nonskid? Yeah, same usually happens to me. The stuff I swear by is called "Goo Gone"...removes pretty much ANYTHING without harming paintwork. Great stuff!! Dollar General sells it for $1 a 4oz bottle. West Marine sells a version of the same type of remover for $14.95 !!, and THIS stuff works better...as long as it is a FRESH spill...works on oil-based paint spills too. Dollar General is the cheap sailor's friend. For old varnish drops....sometimes just a fingernail works. Me, I just paint over it with some touch-up deck paint.

Last edited by SoulVoyage; 05-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook