SailNet Community - View Single Post - cutlass bearing replacement 31
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010

npsoa2002 is on a distinguished road
I replaced the cutless bearing on our Dana a couple of years ago by using standard schedule 40 black pipe from Ace hardware. The ID is just a few thousands over 1" and the OD is 1.315" which is just under the the shaft liner tube. With all the foreign material now days I would varify the deminsions before using the pipe.
I removed the coupling from the shaft that attaches to the transmission, removed the stuffing box and hose from the stuffing box to the stern tube and slid a 4" long piece of pipe over the shaft maybe two at this point and then slid an 1-1/8" box wrench (fits a 3/4 bolt head) over the shaft and started hitting it with a hammer to drive out the bearing. I also put a board between the prop shaft and the rudder so as to not possibly damage the rudder in any way.
Once you move the shaft a little you can grab it with channel locks or a pipe wrench and twist it on out.
When I installed the new cutless bearing I left about a 1/4" stick out so I could twist it out the next time and not remove the coupling.

J LeCocq
Dana Lynn Marie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook