SailNet Community - View Single Post - How should I tow a dinghy?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Depending on conditions, I either "stow it or tow it". But when I DO tow my dinghy (a small hypalon inflatable), I actually bring it VERY close to the stern and tow it backwards, so that only the bow of the dink is in the water. The two pontoon ends brought nearly against the hull. I've never had a problem with abrasion by doing this.

There is an added benefit of doing it this way: When I get to whatever anchorage, or back to the slip, I simply take the mizzen halyard and clip it to the bow bridle and lift the bow of the dinghy right out of the water. As the pontoon ends are already OUT of the water and secured, this keeps the WHOLE dinghy out of the water!!...and out of reach form algae and barnacles. To drop the dinghy in the water, it is a simple task to let go the mizzen halyard. If you don't a mizzen, the main halyard should work just as well to get the bow out of the water while at anchor or dock.

This system works great for me, and doesn't cost a dime and keeps the dink's bottom MUCH cleaner, as the whole thing is out of the water while sitting, yet still immediately ready to go.