SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving out
Thread: Moving out
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010
in over my head

sync is on a distinguished road
Good for you man….

I’m 22 and I’m moving onto my boat this July if all goes well. I never figured there was any one else even close to my age doing this…..Good luck with the boat hunt. Just take your time with it….I think staying in the 30 foot range is a good choice for a lot of reasons. For one, a lot of marinas, at least around here, charge a flat rate, or lower rate per foot for anything less than 28 or 29 feet. I’ve found this to be true with a few boat yards too when getting estimates for haul outs and bottom jobs. Ive been thanking God lately I only have a 27 footer.
I bought a 76 Catalina 27 a few months ago and I love it. Theres just enough living space and I never feel like its too much boat for me to take care of. Sure a few extra feet would be nice, but even 3 extra feet would have cost me so much more between my slip fees and the bottom job.
As far as price ranges go, someone mentioned about 5k, which is so true. I paid 7K for mine and that included an outboard and a $3000 nav system. But, I will have put 3k more into it before I move in. Mostly just a ton of little things….Just be ready for that, I wasn’t……
I also wanted to stress something mentioned above about 70’s sailboats being more resistant to blistering. Its so true. A lot of boats made in that era, where constructed with thicker and denser glass than later models. This saves a lot of money when you go to get a bottom job. Yeah, the wiring, plumbing, and other things might be more worn than a newer boat, but that’s the easy stuff….The stuff you can fix when its sitting in the slip. (When I say this, I don’t mean to sound like I know what I’m talking about, but Ive learned these things from asking and listening to people far more experienced than I am.) I’ve lived in FL for less than a year. I’m a flat lander from Northern Illinois so this is all still new to me….

Good luck with everything though man….If you think about it, PM me and let me know how it goes.