SailNet Community - View Single Post - NE Winter Storage - In Water Vs. Land
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-23-2010 Thread Starter
mlong9876
C27 LI

NE Winter Storage - In Water Vs. Land

This topic came up in a Block Island thread so I am starting a new one here posting my experience.

Pros and Cons of both-

Land:

Less thought and aggravation "Set it and forget it"
Never heard of a boat sinking on land

More expensive (in theory...see below)
At the mercy of the yard regarding placement and when they'll take you out and put you in, unless you've established a good rapport.

In Water:

A little less expensive - not always (some marinas charge for winter electric - current insurance policy might need to be changed - have to pay a la carte for a short haul for bottom, etc.)
Additional Equipment - bubbler or similar
Requires much more thought and time - I must have cursed myself at least 10 times over the winter asking, "what was I thinking? "...

A place to go in the winter
Depending on the level of winterization, sometimes able to go out on a warm winter day and refill the engine antifreeze upon return.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Sailing much later into the fall and much earlier in the spring. I sailed at least 10 more times than I would have in the fall and 20 more times this spring. There are fewer weddings, Christenings, Bar-Bat-Any Mitzvahs, birthday parties, bbqs and general "warm weather" obligations that invariably eat up the summer.

When you add in all the above things that take away from sailing, in-water storage truly is like getting an additional season of sailing, maybe more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michael

C27
Gracie Day
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome