SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island Trip
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong9876 View Post
Thanks Nick and Brad. Iím still not sure where Iíll actually wind up staying but this is very helpful information. I definitely want to break the trip up into 2 or 3 days to get there.

The first and last long trip I took in this boat was last October from Patchogue (where I bought it) to Sea Cliff. I lost the engine within the first three hours and ran aground three times (two were caused by me and one while Sea Tow was 'assisting' us.) We told the Sea Tow captain that we were following the charts and his response was, "yeah, you can't really go by the charts in here".

Thanks again,

Michael
That sounds like it was quite the trip LOL! I actually kept my first boat, a Mark 25 (25' sloop similar to a C&C) on the Great South Bay in Patchogue 4 years ago. As crazy as it sounds, that Sea Tow Captain was right about not being able to follow the charts down there. They provide a good reference point but that bay is so shallow and the sand and shoals are always shifting. You just really have to take your time, try and follow the markers (even if some are pots and pans or a stick or tree lol). The only upside is that the bottom is all sand so usually they are all just soft groundings.

I'm not sure if it is Tappan Marina or another one over near Sea Cliff but I go sailing out of there sometimes with a friend of mine. His buddy owns the 1939 yawl, "Golden Eye" which has a black hull and is about 47 ft or so long and is a beautiful wooden boat. Sometimes I crew on it on the Wednesday night beer can races. Its a real nice harbor.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I might be taking my boat over there next weekend for Memorial Day. I'll keep an eye out for you now that I know your boat's name. Mine is "Capricorn" incase you see me.

Regards,
nick