SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Toilet (good, bad, and ugly)
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010

anoser is on a distinguished road
Marine Toilet (good, bad, and ugly)

Hi all...My next (semi major) project is going to be to resolve my toilet needs. I have a 1975 B-27 and it has what I'm sure is the original toilet. A pump system that has the Y valve for either pumping into the the water or into an attached tank (appears non removable) with a pump out valve.

There is no "vent" so...using it underway is, of course, impossible...at the risk of sounding like a Jerk...I haven't tried using the tank yet because pump out facilities are incredibly full of hassle (on the Bay anyway)...basically I've never allowed anyone to use it for #2 because I'm shooting directly into the bay at the moment.

I need to resolve this. Not only because I'm opposed to shooting TP and #2 into the bay, but it turns into an EVENT anytime it needs to be used by opening both seacocks (pump), close the inlet, (pump to empty bowl), then finally closing the outlet.

I'm tempted to rip it all out and just stick a good porta in there...maybe one that also CAN use the outlet seacock (look...even as a conservationist I don't have issues with #1 going in the bay...less harmful an wasteful than chemicals...)

Anyway...thoughts...suggestions? I'm a weekender...with maybe 3 one week trips...and once a month having a few people out that would really use it. I don't want people embarrassed about having to go to the bathroom.

My first thought is...rip out the whole unit, keep the seacocks closed, and just use a good porta.

Alex
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook