SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 29 construction history
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
I cannot speak to your question specifically as I don't have specific information but we owned a 1976 Cal 2-29 for many, many years and she had no apparent differences from her earlier sister-ships, several of which were in our Club (Alamistos Bay YC, Long Beach, Ca). The yacht's weighed about the same so I suspect the layup was the same.

Our boat was very sturdy and we sailed her all over heck's half acre, in good weather and bad, and she was very reliable. We took her to southwest Florida and had her here for 10 years before we sold her to buy a bigger boat (which I needed like a hole in the head). The buyer sailed the heck out of her here and later shipped her back to the San Francisco Bay area where she now resides and is still doing well I'm told.

In my opinion the 2-29 was a very reliable boat and one of the biggest little boats one could own. I wish we still had her.

For more information you might contact Steve Seal at Seal's Spars and Rigging in the SF Bay area (Google that). Steve worked for Jensen Marine during the era and is the acknowled expert on the boats.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 05-24-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook