SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Island Sound first boat insights?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
I know this is a few weeks old, but I wanted to just throw in a couple comments anyway...

My boat, 1990 Hunter 27 fits all of MStern and the OP's requirements:
1. Big cockpit
2. Head behind a door
3. Less than $10,000
4. Sleep 4-6
5. comfortable cruiser
6. Fast as can be reasonably expected from a 27ft boat.
7. Affordable maintenance (It's an 8HP outboard)

I can comfortably seat 6 in the cockpit, as well as sleep 6 (as long as one person is not too tall), and even squeeze 6 in around the settee. Seperate enclosed head, paid $8k for it in very good shape, bought it from the original owner.

As for speed, with 4-6 people on board I can routinely hit 6+ kts (LWL is 22.3ft, theoretical max speed is 6.3kts), and do so on most tacks in as little as 8kts of wind, depending on which sails I have hoisted.

The only thing that I can't comfortably do is single hand the boat, and that's 95% because it has hank on head sails, and I don't have a wind vane or any sort of autopilot (or even a tiller keeper, but that is on my to do list).

all in all I am very pleased with my boat, it was just a year ago that I was making the same decision as the OP Mike as what was a good boat to have on LIS, and had the same list of requirements. The only difference is that I didn't buy the boat expecting to race it (although I'm considering doing so this season.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook