SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010
Make it Happen

pwillems is on a distinguished road
How about if money isn't an issue?

This is really a very interesting topic for me... How about if money wasn't an issue? Most arguments I have seen here for the ideal cruising boat are based around the exponential increase in purchase and upkeep costs of the systems with each eack extra foot of LOA.

I have had the dream of cruising for most of my life, though, I never thought it would be possible for an average Joe like me. Just recently, out of the blue, my wife also started talking about this and we have decided we were going to make it happen. We have started seriously cutting down on our already modest "lifestyle" and were thinking 15 to 20 years from now we should have been able to save enough and have enough investments to buy something suitable and keep on cruising it until we no longer feel like it is fun. Now just recently, we have had some luck and it looks like the 15 to 20 years saving are not going to be necessary. We could probably set off in a year or two if it wasn't for a child with special needs who needs a stable life close to the services he requires.

In short, in around 10 years when we set off, if all goes well, we should be in a relatively good position and probably not overly concerned about the cost of the boat and it's upkeep (within reason). In a case like this what would be the ideal boat for long term cruising? Would you still stick to a smaller vessel with less systems but a nicer pedigree (Tayana, IPY etc...) or rather go for something larger with room for plenty of toys to make the trip fun, a washing machine and a happy wife?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook