SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boston Sinking

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  eherlihy 
#1 ·
I hear that a Pearson 36 from BHSC sank Saturday after grounding on the Lower Middle shoal in the center of Boston Inner Harbor. Anyone got any specifics?

#4 ·
Hmmmmmm.....

My mooring neighbor said that our other mooring neighbor told him that the CG towed a boat, similar to my Pearson 10M, past his house in Marblehead. I didn't hear it was sinking though. It was last weekend that the incident would have occurred. I'll do some more digging.

DrB

#5 ·
This description appeared on a Boston area board. (Makes me wonder: how easily do keels break off?)

It was a Sailing Center 36' Pearson with 5 people on board. What they did was to fetch up on the spit that comes north west off the deer Island light. At first they tried to get off themselfs but with an outgoing tide they were stuck hard. They never called anyone for help figuring they could safely ride out the tide and re-float on the incoming tide in an hour or so. What happened was a few big wakes came through picking up the boat and slamming it back down eventually breaking off the keel at the keel root. The boat capsized and rapidly filled with water. All people on board were dumped in the water and quickly rescued by the state police and CG 25'. They were taken to The Black Falcon pier to an awaiting ambulance. They were OK other then maybe a little exposure and being soaking wet. The boat was salvaged by Mike McDivitt from Peddocks Island Marine using a crane and barge. I have some close up pictures of the boat. What a shame. The good news is no-one was hurt. I've seen this happen before with a J-41 a few years back. Sailboats don't like to be left on a hard surface's with all their weight on the keel joint. Especially in a high traffic area like Deer Island light, Faun bar or Lower Middle.

#6 ·
Hmmm..
thanks, can you share or PM the name of the board? It is hard to believe wakes could bust the keel off a Pearson...I've seen dozens of boats aground and refloated in that same general area over the years, most apparently no worse for wear....

#8 ·
Wow - quite the story there in your link, BB. Sobering stuff to us all lest any of us get to feel complacent about our skills and abilities. Mistakes galore, but self admitted in a refreshingly honest and straightforward way, credit to the skipper for that.

Here's a more direct link:

Yahoo! Groups

#9 ·
Hmmm...I am amazed that any impact would remove a keel. I believe this is a cored hull...my bet is the impact ripped out not the keel, but the whole keel stub. It would be interesting to see a picture, anyone know where Peddocks Island Marine is located (nothing is on Peddocks Island...).

#11 ·
Actually, this was a Pearson 36-2. It had a solid glass hull. I cannot vouch for the integrity of the keel bolts, however.

I sailed this boat when it entered the BHSC fleet. it was then called "Horizon." At the time of the incident, it was called "Sheet Music," (Mark Healy's sense of humor).

There are pix somewhere around. PM me if you are still interested, and I'll look them up.

#10 ·
That is an excellent reminder to always be careful.. Very sobering stuff indeed.

I remember once while going around the islands here that I traveled within a marker that indicated a sunken boat. The idea there was that it hit a rock, sunk and the rock it hit along with the boat itself were obviously a danger still. I felt confident that I was far enough to port of it to miss it but our islands around here have long submersed rocks that come out to a point, which of course is where the marker is. A sailor came over to my boat when we docked and gave me a quick reminder that it wasn't a good idea (he was ahead of us going to the same place) and was ready on channel 16 in the case something happened.

*sigh* memories.. Be ever vigilant is my new motto :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.