SailNet Community - View Single Post - College liva aboard
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010
Follow Me!

stevo39th is on a distinguished road
College liva aboard

My apologies if this has been covered before, I searched and could not find such a topic.

I am 23 about to be a junior in college. I have a very strong desire to live aboard and was wondering if it is doable for someone in my situation.

If I live on campus in the dorms then I will be paying 6000 a year for simply living on campus. If I live off campus I won't have to pay that 6000. I will also be getting 750 a month Basic Army Housing pay with the new GI bill. That would essentially be my budget. I would also be adding in my 200 a month drill pay. So essentially I would have the 6000 to start of with and then about a 1000 a month to make this possible. This also includes buying a boat.

The slip I would stay at is on a lake and is around 2000 a year with electricity. 195 a month to be exact. Cheaper ones do exist but this is 16' by 40' and more than likely the only one that would fit whatever boat I got. Another possibility is a mooring buoy but I'm not sure how practical that would be. Although it is only 605 for a year.

My sailing experience is very limited. When I was 14 I got the small boat sailing merit badge in Boy Scouts and that is it.

I have read "The Essentials of Living Aboard." and have a general understanding of what I will be getting into.

I am not looking at sailing as a short time endeavor. From what I have read about sailing and living aboard is that people far to often talk about it and plan to do it but never do. So what I have here is an opportunity to do it and if it is possible on the above budget than I will go for it. It is something I am seriously considering doing after I graduate as well but if that were to occur it would be on the coast and not a lake.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook