SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Experienced crew wanted, Manhattan area

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  steevix 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for experienced crew for sailing after work and on weekends in the Manhattan area. I have a 1987 O'day 27 at the 79th Street Boat Basin. I'm 53, easy going. Looking for someone who is also easy going as well. Please tell me a little about yourself and your sailing experience.

#2 ·
Night Sky... describing your boat will be helpful to anyone that may want to look into this further....

#3 ·
Another interesting detail might be are you in a slip or on a mooring at the 79th st marina? I am familiar with the current in the Hudson and have been to the 79th St marina by subway recently. It is a nice spot.
I live in lower Manhattan in Tribeca and keep my boat up at Nyack which is about 30 miles away as you know. I am also your age, around 52 but have sailed on all kinds of boats since I was a teenager on the LI Sound across and down the Sound. No captains license on my part so no payment requested.
David Meltzer is a great guy to sail with in my experience. Hope you feel the same.

#4 ·
Count me in for mid-week during the summer. We use our boat as a summer house and keep her far from the city in July and August.

I can recomment CalebD and DavidPM and BarryL- have done long sails with each of them. Good sailors, good company.

Regards,
Brad

#7 · (Edited)
I can vouch for Nighsky (Michael) as I spent three days with him moving his boat from Westerly to Manhattan with a stop over in City Island.
He is seriously committed to sailing and someone with some experience could have some fun times in the river.

Great little boat, 27 O'Day shoal keel, 10 HP WB with almost new sails.
It is on a mooring about a 10-15 min. dinghy ride from the dinghy dock. At least that is where we left it Weds.

#8 ·
Darn it David, now I'm jealous. We're still on the hard and you're out having fun.

Regards,
Brad

#9 · (Edited)
Hi nightsky,
I'd be interested in sailing with you. I'm 35, living in Manhattan. Am also available during the week these days. Not that experienced - i.e. won't really be able to 'instruct' though I'd certainly be happy to share what I've learned - I just passed a basic keelboat certification (sailing in New York Harbour waters) and have some prior experience as skipper of charter boats in the Greek med and as crew in UK - Isle of Wight and Channel.
Looking forward to hearing from you! You can reach me on (917) 512-2622

#10 ·
Nightsky,

I'm up for crewing on your boat, especially evenings after work.

I'm 38, married with a 2-year old daughter. Live/work in Manhattan so I'm not far from the boat.

I've been sailing since 1999 including several 1-week trips mostly in the Caribbean, a few summers crewing in races off of City Island, and various day sails and overnights here and there. I took Basic Sailing at Manhattan Sailing School in 2002 and I'm taking Coastal Cruising there in June. I don't have a lot of knowledge about the local waters (e.g. Hudson River) but I'm looking to get more local cruising experience this summer.

Casual, easy going, friendly, safety-conscious.

Let me know if you are interested.

Best,
Steve C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.