SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tender for a PSC 31
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
We too are dealing with the "dingy dilemma" as we've come to call it, and have been for some seven years now. We're on a 34 cutter, so it would seem our set of issues are not too different than yours, or with any boat: a matter of stowage.

We're thinking of the 7' Fatty Knees hard dingy built by Edy & Duff. It should fit beneath the boom on the coachroof. Based on our measurements, the distance between the mast step and the traveler is 7'1". I've yet to build a mock-up to see how well it would work. The vang would have to be moved too.

Length is the big issue, as the boom has plenty clearance and the bean of the dingy is well within the width between the handrails.I should say that for various reasons, we prefer a hard dingy over an inflatable; it's mostly about durability over the long term. Plus, my wife really wants a sailing dingy.

Regarding the Portaboat, we have some friends that used one on a 34 and liked the arrangement; at least we never heard otherwise.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook