SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Drive?
Thread: Electric Drive?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010

Lazlow is on a distinguished road
Electric Drive?

Hey Guys

Ok, this is my first post so be gentle, just in the dreaming stage so far.

Has anybody had any experience with the Asmo THOOSA(just google it) electric drive (or any electric drive)? I know it does not sound like a liveaboard question but hear me out. My eventual plan is to do a lot of moving around and marinas are just too expensive for stays less than a month. Which essentially means I need a generator. If I switch to an electric drive, I can replace the drive motor with a generator(diesel) and batteries, hopefully at about the same weight as the old drive motor.

Currently I am thinking about a F-36 but I am at least a year away from any serious purchases. Over the last five years I have been down sizing my life. I figured out that I had gotten WAY to involved in having stuff. Moved from a 5 bedroom house, down to a two bedroom house, and am now moving to a one bedroom apartment(about the same size as the master bedroom was in the 5 bedroom). With the exception of my computer stuff I have gotten rid of almost all my large stuff (TV, furniture, etc) and have been sleeping on an army cot for the last month(and will continue using it). I want to know that I can actually live in the small amount of space before I spend a lot of money on a boat.

Thanks
Lazlow
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook