SailNet Community - View Single Post - transient dockline inventory -single vs. double braid?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
transient dockline inventory -single vs. double braid?

We keep Avalon (Freedom 28, 6,000#) on a mooring. Occasionally make a quick stop at the marina for a washdown etc. Plan to actually cruise a bit this summer. Anyway, she needs new docklines.

Generally speaking, with a floating dock, a bow & stern line plus 1 or 2 springs will get the job done. Ocasionally you encounter a perpendicular piling arrangement with 2 pilings off a bulkhead (think Oak Bluffs for those familiar with Martha's vinyard) where you need 2 bow, 2 stern and 2 springs.

So I'm thinking (4) 20' bow & stern lines (one end spliced loop). Plus (2) 30' spring lines with one end looped.

Now to the questions

Has anyone had occasion to need 4 spring lines??? Or should I go to 40' for the springs such that I can attach mid ship and run the line fore and aft yeilding 2 (shorter) springs from 1 line.

Any recommendations on a single vs double braid dockline? - I'm thinking 1/2" diameter. I'm drawn to single braid for it's ease of coiling and simpler? splicing for example NE Ropes megabraid II in 12mm (1/2").
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook