SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulf of Mexico oil spill
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeInCanada View Post
No they're not, that's just silly to propose. I realize there are some out there that do say something like that but it's not a sustainable idea. The thought process is much more that they would like to see much more sustainable practices and less production as there are far too many people that waste food. We don't need to have so many animals for consumption and it is much healthier to cut down the amount of red meat that is consumed.
I'm not the one proposing it. All we ever hear from the vegans and environmentalists is that cattle and other livestock produce large quantities of methane and the methane is much worse for the environment than the CO2. They consider the consumption of beef, swine, and milk "unsustainable" for these reasons and the volume of grain resources required to produce the beef, swine, and milk. (not that the human population is unsustainable at 7 billion as it continues to grow exponentially). It does not matter so much whether we eat red meat, swine, dairy, chicken, or fish; it's the fact that there are 7 billion of us that need sustenance. That's a big reason why vegans promote eating nothing but fruits, veggies, grains, nuts; because it's the lowest net impact to the environment, and considered sustainable.

Quote:
Agreed on the stove though.. burning wood pellets in that particular stove is very efficient and has it's merits but is definitely not carbon neutral. You're still burning something, putting off toxins in the air. Not to mention the production of it, delivery (in bags made of oil for the most part) and the whole manufacturing process.

I get it though, it's pretty good and seems kind of attractive for a BBQ rather than straight charcoal or briquettes.
As I said before; it's more about what you are emitting. Burning natural gas results in CO2 and water. That's as clean as it gets. If your NG stove is properly adjusted that's about as clean and efficient as you can be. I don't know about the safety aspects of cooking over an open fire of wood pellets; it might be fine, or it could be very bad depending on what the pellets are comprised of. Charcoals have had most of the tars and aromatics burned off; so it might be safer in terms of carcinogens transferred to the food. But barbecue is also known to be a source of oral, throat, lung, and stomach cancers if you consume it daily; regardless of the fuel source (a gas grill might be a bit safer but I don't know). That's not to say I don't like charcoal BBQ food...

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 06-04-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook