SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Many things in this world are just fine the way they are, a spoon for example, it could be bigger, have a longer handle, be more ornate, made out of gold, or whatever, but you know, adding all that stuff to a spoon doesn't make it a better spoon, it has been adapted over a long period of time by many generations of people to be what it is - just the right size, shape, length, weight, made out of the right materials, with the right surface finish, etc, to be good for what it is used for, eating. There's really just not much you can do to a spoon to make it a better spoon, it is perfectly suited to the needs of the human beings who use it.
Off topic, but related to the above ..

I wanted four black metal 3" C clamps, the kind you can get at any auction, something I can maintain with a little tool oil from time to time and keep on the boat. I went to Lowes, they had some kind of galvanized clamps, and I was getting ready to buy them and thought, you know, I know it is weird, but I'd rather just have the black metal ones like the bigger clamps I have, I wanted them to match. So I decided to go to Home Depot. There they couldn't do metal colors at all, they decided to powder coat theirs a crimson red. By this time it has become a mission! Fine, Ace hardware maybe ? Nope, they had some kind of construction orange metal paint on theirs. Another store maybe ? No they had the same kind of paint except theirs was a battleship gray color. Finally gave up and went to the antique store and found them. That's what I was talking about above, why is it that people have to complicate everything, what's wrong with a black metal 3" C clamp that manufacturers seem to think they have to improve on it ? The thing is better without the color powder coat or paint that is going to chip off the first time it bangs against another tool.

I know, I'm getting fussy as I get older.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 06-05-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook