SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 23ft venture MacGregor
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
I have friends who have the 25 and 26. The 26 has pretty decent performance and is very roomy but I just can't get my head around intentionally flooding a boat.
The 25 is also a decent boat but the keel needs work. My 24 had a swing keel that was an excellent starting point for the mods I made. It was encapsulated iron (not so great) but had a nice bulb'ish shape to start with. The 25 has a pretty cobby hunk of iron. It can be modified if you're handy with epoxy.

We were able to sail to Scorpion Cove at Santa Cruz Island for the Memorial Day Holiday. The bottom there is very soft sand and we made three attempts to set a hook. The wind shifted 180 degrees 4 times on Sunday and wrapped the chain around the anchore in a pretty nice snarl. I reset that evening with bow and stern anchors for a solid set the rest of the weekend. Weather was mid 70's all weekend with enough breeze to keep the brine flies away.

Had a little drama sunday when a small powerboat drifted into us while I was cooking dinner below. He was dragging an 8lbs fishermans anchor and a 5gal. bucket of cement on about 20' of rode in 20' of water. He was drifting out to sea when his anchor snagged our rode and used it as a zip line to our bow. There was nobody on board the powerboat so I had to go ashore and find the owners. They were camping .5 mile inland, completely oblivious. Their neighbors knew who I was looking for because they had been having trouble anchoring all day. Their Sevylore pool floaty was flat so they commandeered an unattended kayake to get to the boat.

The next morning they were tied up to the Park Service buoy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook