SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
So I'll start.

Today was just what I described above. It was just me and my two boys (6 and 10). The wife was shopping with her mom (forced into it more like - she's not a big shopper). It was the first time for just the 3 of us.

Anyway, the wind was in the 10-15 knot range, so it was fresh but really nice. A bit of drama coming out of the slip. The shear pin on the prop broke. Why is it that it always happens after you back out into the fairway? After nervously trying to get forward gear to engage - with no luck - I just kept it in reverse, flipped us around and backed back into the slip.

Into the water with a pair of pliers tied to the stanchion and a new pin that had been stored under the motor cover - and 10 minutes later we were underway.

I let the 6 yo drive as we motored out of the marina. I was taking the bungees off the main when I heard the 10 yo saying "no the other way" pretty emphatically. I looked up and we were 30 feet from the rocks. I jumped into the cockpit, swung the tiller around, and waited for the blood pressure to go back down. The 6yo just giggled.

The 6 yo kept us motoring into the wind and we hoisted our sails. Then the 10 yo drove us for a couple of miles the passed me the helm and went below for Oreos and a book.

The boys would pop back up and help me with each tack and steer for a couple of minutes - then back to the snacks and sodas. That's cool - it was just great being out there with them. I had that "sigh" moment.

I decided not to try to run the GR course for obvious reasons - but had a blast sailing with my boys.

Tonight the 6 yo said, "Someday I'm going to have a sailboat too." Music to my ears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook