SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 06-06-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Some thoughts

I think that both your description and analysis indicate that you have a really good handle on things. I agree that with sailing the exam often comes before the lesson. I think most experienced sailors (I have been doing it for 40+ years) can well remember such scary experiences.

I think your conclusions are valid. Perhaps your two biggest mistakes were not having the reefing gear setup beforehand (and not practicing with it) and trying to enter the inlet at the worst possible time. Were you listening to weather radio? Might they have had reports of advancing T-storms that would have given you more notice and time to duck into cover?

A bigger, heavier boat would be more comfotable in sich an experience but chances are you could still encounter slightly worse conditions in a bigger boat because you might push it harder and be a bit less careful. Buy a bigger boat if you want it and can afford it, but basically keep doing what you are doing - sail a lot and analyze your experiences.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome