SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-06-2010
saildork

Alan, You did well, considering the limitations of your boat and sail inventory. I sail a C22 and have found it more seaworthy than I am.

Good that you battened down your hatches, secured your lockers, and installed the bigger cockpit drains on your boat. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I would recommend investing in a new 110% jib and a heavy weather sail. I have used the heavy weather sail to good effect in high wind when I've needed to maintain control and a degree of comfort. You definitely need a smaller headsail when the wind is more than about 15 knots. Where I sail, I'm usually off the water before I would need a second reef in the main, but you might consider adding a 2nd reef to yours.

You probably would have done better to run off, as you said. In a small boat like the C22, big beam-on waves are a bigger concern than the wind. But there are lots of C22s sailing in coastal waters like yours, and a fair number sailing to the Bahamas from Florida, given a good weather window. So don't rule out your boat as inadequate for your waters. Just be aware of what it's capable of and what it is not.

Good summary.

Sailing isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome