SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
K sailor, thanks for the reply. Yes we received the weather warning but I figured based on an average run speed of 5 knots I could make it into the inlet before the storm hit. And I almost did, 35 more minutes and we would have made it. You are 100% correct, we hit the entrance to the river at the worst possible moment. Funny how that happens. Next time out we are going to explore the three sounds in our sailing area so that I am familiar with places to hide. I'll mark good spots on my charts along with notes regarding the channels leading into them. If I had decided to do a beam reach into Wassaw Sound we would have been comfortably on the lee side of Wassaw Island when the storm hit, relaxed with two anchors out, but then I wouldn't have gained any experience....I am working on a reefing system today. Though I think even a reefed main would have been to much. I think the lessons learned in a tender, light small boat will pay off immensely if applied to the bigger boat that I will get eventually (would really like to stand up below deck...) In addition, I'm going to have my sailing instructor teach me how to heave to during my next lesson. I think the ability to do this is paramount. Though I am unsure if the Catalina 22 will heave to properly. I don't think there is enough keel under the boat but we will see..Alan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook