SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I think you did well and where you made mistakes you recognized them and learned from them. You can't expect much more of yourself than that.

One of your comments about having small enough lines to reef does give me pause. The main is reefed in a number of different ways on different boats but ultimately there is a cringle on the luff (reef tack) and one on the leech (reef clew) that are pulled down and in the case of the reef clew aft. The small grommets in the sail between the reef cringles only have the function of allowing you to thread small lines ("bunt lines") through to secure the rolled up bunt (the part of the sail pulled down by the reef. In no way are they intended to actually hold the sail down into the reef. In fact, a common cause of major sail tears is a failure of the reefing line that holds the reef clew down and aft which loads up the bunt lines and tears the sail.

As I recall the C22 I spent most weekends one lovely summer on with the quite lovely owner the reefing is straightforward. You ease the halyard until the reef cringle is down to the boom. Put the cunningham hook in the reef cringle and take up the halyard. Pull down on the cunningham. The clew reef I think was a line cleated on the boom. Pull that in tight as you can and cleat it back. Done. You can practice on a light-air day in your slip. You should be able to get the time down to about a minute at the dock. In real life while you are bouncing around it will take three or four minutes. Reef early.

In point of fact tying up the bunt is not critical on most boats. It's tidy and reduces the chance of snags. If reefing in extremis I wouldn't bother - get off the cabin top and back in the cockpit.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook