SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can a Bristol 32 Circumnavigate?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
The C&C 29 I'm referring to is a '78 vintage. I don't know if it is the original mast, but the walls aren't quite as thick as the Bristol's. The C&C mast has a thicker ridge inside, on what would be port and starboard sides. The Bristol's mast, despite being older, retains a brighter appearance, while the C&C's appears more like weathered aluminum (note, I'm not referring to the anodized treatment, rather, the appearance of the metal along the un-treated edge of the mast foot). Not sure if that's due to some different aluminum alloy or what. It's not a scientific test, but I did it again today, and the C&C mast feels heavier...not by a big margin, just enough to notice. Anyway, the C&C setup will be going on the Bristol since the Bristol's mast was damaged in hurricane Katrina. Ironically, the donor C&C's belly was peeled open like a sardine can in the same storm. Both boats were in New Orleans, and weathered the same conditions. I can only speculate as to their individual mooring arrangements, but the Bristol got some minor hull scars, and no water. I know which one I'd rather be on when things turn ugly.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 05-06-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook