SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Apparently she is not a theoretical teacher
Nope, but think about all the money that you saved in classroom time!

A few comments:

1. You did great. The crew was uninjured, the boat was not broken, and you didn't hurt another boater. A successfull and entertaining cruise by any measure.
2. Don't sell the boat. While a heavier boat will be more comfortable, this one (and her crew) proved their worthiness. You gained enormouse experience is a single day. You now have vastly more experience in weather than 95% of the powerboaters on the water. Not to disparage them, but a powerboater's method for dealing with weather is to run.
3. Never, ever think that you can outrun a summer squall. You can't. It's also very difficult to gauge their direction. I have been sailing for 42 years, offshore, racing, etc, etc. and last summer I though that I could slip below a squall line. Couldn't, didn't, and I scared my guest crew. Prepare for heavy weather when you first think of it. NOT after it hits.
4. I didn't see anything about putting on lifejackets. If you don't have an auto-inflatable jacket, buy one and put it on before you reef.
5. You already learned this the hard way, but you need to practice reefing. We can execute a reef on Victoria in under 5 minutes. Many years ago, off Montauk, my father and I were in 25kts surfing 8'-12' seas in his Catalina 30. We should have reefed but weren't very good a it so we didn't. We did an accidental gibe and blew the gooseneck apart and tore the mainsail luff 4'. I learned to reef and sew that day.
6. You need a preventer for the main. When you said that the main was way out, I pictured an accidental gibe and someone being injured. Buy a boom vang kit and attach one end to the bom and the other to an eye at a stanchion or on a eye on the genoa track.
7. LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY... you started the single most important habit of boating. A post-incident inspection of your actions. You will have more of these experiences. This is why we go on the water in the first place. Learning from each incident makes you a vastly better boater.

Ya done good.