SailNet Community - View Single Post - EPOXY BARRIER COAT DILEMMA, help .....
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
EPOXY BARRIER COAT DILEMMA, help .....

I have a dilemma as some of you may know, my health hasn't been good. With cancer followed by heart attacks, bypass surgery, 14 stints and a stroke, I seem to be down more often then I am up. Two years ago I was barrier coating my boat with epoxy resin. It was a big job just removing 30 years of bottom paint. My problem is the boat has sat with a few coats of epoxy resin on it's bottom without the protection of paint.

Mas epoxy which is the brand of epoxy I used told be to use a belt sander and scuff up the epoxy, wash it down and apply 2 or 3 more coats of epoxy, paint it and call it done.

Progressive epoxy who has emailed me with answers to my questions has said: "You have sun - UV damaged epoxy on the hull, refresh
with a thin quick coat of solvent thinned epoxy (you can use almost any epoxy) for a fresh surface, then paint or bottom paint over the epoxy."

These are two very different ways to handle the same problem. Having worked with epoxy resin I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept that epoxy paint is as good or better then epoxy resin as Progressive epoxy seems to push on their web site and emails. So I have to get this done, I get tired very easy due to my heart and live daily with chest pains. I want my boat in the water. What would you guys do? I don't have extra money right now to hire someone else to do this either, any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook