SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
"The housetop or side deck of a C-22 is NO place to be in a Gale" .......Yes, I found this out the hard way. Should have won a medal for the gymnast actions of holding myself to the boat, holding the boat to myself and wrestling the sails, tie down lines and such.

My boat is as basic as it gets, no proper cunningham, no boom vang, not even a proper outhaul. Oh and no topping lift, pigtails are used throughout. I am working on this though I like the simplicity as I don't race.

Big funny looking orange life jackets were on the minute we reduced sail. I really need some better vests.....

Its interesting reading about keeping some sail up in these blows. Instinct said to take it all down. The reef point on the main is only about 2' above the bolt rope. Does that 2' really make that much of a difference?

I spent some time today reading about reefing methods and it seems on my boat it is a lot simpler than some of the drawings make it out to be. Being that I have no outhaul and the foot is attached with a shackle. I can simply have two lines, pre measured and ready to go to attach the foot and clew to their respective shackles. Small bungees will hold the other grommets and excess sail in place. I'll test fire this theory this week. Thanks for the replies, Alan.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook