SailNet Community - View Single Post - First storm in a sailboat; lessons learned, advice wanted.
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
I told the girl to hold the tiller and keep the boat pointed downwind as I went forward to wrestle down the genny and secure it. I managed to do this without to much fuss though the jib halyard broke free and flew around near horizontal for the remainder of the storm. (at this point we could not turn into the wind to take down sail as it would have capsized us)
I think turning would have been a mistake even if you could. You did this just right in my opinion. If you head down wind enough to blanket the sail with the main it is much easier to drop and contain the genny. If you turn into the wind you do three bad things: 1) Lose the protection from the wind the main provides 2) increase the apparent wind by ~10 knots (which can easily double the forces on the sail) 3) make the motion of the boat much more erratic, which makes foredeck work harder.

I would also ask if you ever were really in danger. It is scary and uncomfortable, but as long as you do not fall off the boat or run into anything, the boat should do fine in most conditions [although unlike most keel boats, a swing-keel Catalina 22 might never come back up from a knockdown]. The key is to not fall off the boat. Tie yourself to the boat and wear a life jacket.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook