SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Help Piloting/Controling a 32 footer
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'm on the tidal Delaware river and on a mooring but I do occasionally go into transient slips at a local marina. Current up here is always 5 knots or more. I ALWAYStry to use the current when turning into a slip. I know as soon as the keel is 90* to the current the boat will start moving side ways and I try to use that also. Of course the boat has to be before or after the slip, depending on which way the water is flowing. When the bow is just before center of the slip I motor forward and then gun it in reverse so the mid ship cleat is centered on the finger slip just as the current starts to move the boat towards it. I takes lots of practice and knowing your boat's inertia helps allot. I shudder to think what would happen without the engine suddenly. Backing out is much easier and I always back into the current so the rudder responds. Hope this helps!

PS I've seen more then a few boats use a piling or end of pier as a fulcrum

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-07-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook