SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delmarva Circumnavigations
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Delmarva Circumnavigations

This is about the time of year start heading off to go around the Delmarva; there's enough wind, it's warm, and truly bad weather is short lived. I heard there was a group headed around from Herrington Harbor South in a week or so - I'm certain there are others.

I've gone around a bunch of times, always hunting for new places to stop and explore, and so every trip has been different. I love it, I started a blog mostly for the purpose of telling the tales, though it has turned into a more general forum. But there are trip logs, and I plant add another this year.

Sail Delmarva: Trip Report - 2009 Delmarva Circumnavigation.

So, are there any revisions to the basic route that are important this year?

* I understand the entrance to Chesapeake City is a bit shallow in the middle. It's noisy on weekends, anyway. The icecream is nice, though.
* The entrance channel to Chincoteague was moved last year to straighten it out... and reduce the potential for dredging expense too, I think. It still carried 8 feet at low tide, last year.
* The new bridge, north of the town dock opened in April, so hopefully the prior swing bridge is staying open and access to the docks is simpler, but I haven't been there yet, and they were still using the old bridge some last time I asked a local.
* Fishing the Ocean requires a free registration through NOAA for 2010. I'm sure a fee is in the works.
* Cape Charles (town, not point) is adding breakwaters this spring and I bet they aren't on the charts yet. I surmise they are over the shallows on the north side. ("Cape Charles Offshore Breakwater Project - The contract with Precon Marine for the offshore breakwaters was signed on 1/19 to construct two 400’ sections of breakwater. The entire west dock area will be utilized when Precon mobilizes to the area. The work on the offshore breakwaters is scheduled to begin in April is expected to be completed in June 2010.")

What do you have to add?

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook