SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Help Piloting/Controling a 32 footer
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
sorry and thanks

Denise and Mike in response to both your notes.
Sorry I don't know if my "bing" satellite map shows or not, but the river flows (I just heard 12 knts last Sunday) South / West towards Lake Michigan. The flow hits my boat at SB pushing me P against the finger pier, hence I'm unable to backup into the current.
Yes I always like to use the current when turning in i.e. I float downstream (in reverse to go slow enough) then take a SB turn bow first into the slip but as my reverse tends to make my boat go to port you can't get her into the slip B-4 she is being pushed to SB against the first pole (at the end of the pier) which then becomes a center-point around which the boat tends to rotate, hence my SB bow trying to hit my neighbor's boat.
Denise I've tried it every way including the way you said, but my problem is that I can't or couldn't stop my boat from say a 4 knts speed to a full stop in it's own boat length.
Also I'm not the only sailboat there with that problem, there are even a couple of PW's that have a hard time with 100's of HP.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook